Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in the UK often associated with substantial exposure to the sun. If identified early it is readily treated – so the advice for outdoor workers is
- Keep their top on.
- Wear a hat with a brim or a flap that covers the ears and the back of the neck.
- Stay in the shade whenever possible, particularly during breaks.
- Use a high factor sunscreen of at least SPF15 on any exposed skin.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Check your skin regularly for any unusual moles or spots. See a doctor promptly if you find anything that is changing in shape, size or colour, itching or bleeding.